forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Switch dependency managment to IVY
Date Mon, 26 Feb 2007 13:52:42 GMT
Gav.... wrote:

> [...]

Yes.

> Downloaded the branch now, been a while since I downloaded a complete
> Version of Forrest, this took over an hour, the checkout gave up half
> Way through and I had to svn up the rest of it.

Once the move to ivy is complete it will be much smaller.

> I thought I'd do a quick comparison of this branch and trunk.
>
> (The comparison includes .svn directories and files so is not an
> Indicator of true size)
>
> Seems ivyBuild uses up 140Mb compared to Trunk's 256MB
> ivyBuild has 23,565 files compared with Trunks 41,886.
>
> Heading in the right direction I think.

I have no idea how that can be the case, thre are only a few jars ripped
out so far.

> When Ivy is in use properly I guess to start with only a handful
> Of these are downloaded initially and the 30MB in /lib/ wont
> Be downloaded at all, a great saving.
> When Forrest is run for The first time and Ivy is invoked then the 24MB of
> files will Then be downloaded into Ivy Cache, is this right.

That is correct.

> If so then
> A bit of a wait is in store for users. Will there be an (option
> Of an) initial Download of all these files packaged as part of the release
> and  Then Ivy takes over from there for updates?

Source downloaders will see the build system grab the jars not already
present in the local ivy cache from an ivy repo on the first build.

Binary downloaders will get all required jars in their initial download.
No need for Ivy to get involved as they have the compiled version.

This begs the question, what happens when someone downloads a binary
version but then wants to run build on the source files? This would
require Ivy to download all the jars, but they will already be present
as part of the binary download, just not in the ivy cache.

I think the best thing to do would be to not include the source with the
binary download, but to provide a separate release and snapshot source
download.

Ross