forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Switch dependency managment to IVY
Date Thu, 22 Feb 2007 10:54:24 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:

>> I gather that we can have Ivy descriptors in our local
>> repository, but no jars, and then point to other repositories
>> for the jars, e.g. maven repo.
>
> We don't even need the descriptors. We just need the ivy.xml file in our
> trunk. This tells Ivy what Forrest depends on. It goes off to the
> defined repositories (defined in tools/ivy/ivyconf.xml) and finds the
> relevant ivy.xml files for that dependency. This identifies any jars
> that are required by that dependency, which allows Ivy to go looking for
> them, and so on.
>
> So, we are aiming at only needing to maintain Forrests ivy.xml file here
> in Forrest.

I missed your point here. My statements above are still relevant but I
now suspect your point was that ivy repositories need not contain the
actual jar file, they can, in fact, just contain ivy.xml files that
point to a download location for the jar.

This is correct.

However, I chose not to go down that route because I've set ivy up so
that if the jar is available in any of the ivy repos or some of the
common maven repos it will be pulled from there and we need not define
an ivy.xml.

As I mentioned in my previous mail I thought I had set it up to use the
Cocoon maven repo (which contains almost all of what we need in trunk).
However, in my testing it appears I got this config wrong and have yet
to sek user list guidance from ivy.

I'm learning as I go ;-)

Ross