forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <>
Subject Re: upgrade strategies for our packaged Cocoon
Date Thu, 15 Feb 2007 19:14:16 GMT
On Fri, 2007-01-26 at 09:29 +0100, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for the summary.
> >

> > Are this the docs you refer to?
> >
> Yes; some of the basic for Spring configuration are described in the
> subprojects section under the cocoon-spring-configurator.

Yeah, I need to play around with Spring for a course I give about J2EE.
I may try to use cocoon as an example.

> >> Please note that the current trunk does not have a CLI anymore!
> >
> > Hmm, meaning we would break forrest with the update, since we heavily
> > depend on the cli. The whole "site" target depends on it.

Meaning before we can think on updating to current cocoon trunk we need
a cli replacement.

> > Carsten, cocoon trunk is running now in Spring, right? I do not know
> > many about spring myself. Does Spring provide a cli? Does cocoon plan to
> > implement one?
> >
> Yes, Cocoon trunk is running in Spring; we have a bridge for Avalon
> components which means that they are defined as Spring beans as well.
> Spring does not provide a CLI and *currently* Cocoon does not plan to
> implement one. The main reason for this is that we are moving away from
> our own request/response abstraction and plan to use the servlet api
> directly instead.
> I think this topic has been discusses a while ago. Forrest could either
> fire up a jetty and let Forrest/Cocoon run inside a local servlet
> container and use a wget like approach or the CLI needs to be
> reimplemented which shouldn't be too hard as you only have to mock the
> servlet api.

I opened up an Apache Labs for writing a small crawler that can serve as
CLI replacement. On my local hard drive I have a version that is half
finished, will check this into
pretty soon.

All Apache committer have write access there so fell all free to enhance
the upcoming code.

Thorsten Scherler
Open Source Java & XML                consulting, training and solutions

View raw message