forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Gav...." <brightoncomput...@brightontown.com.au>
Subject Is the future XHTML2 ?
Date Mon, 12 Feb 2007 10:38:08 GMT
Ok, so maybe we are too late in debating this, maybe not.

I just wanted to be sure that everyone agrees we are going in the right
direction. A few posts around the net have bothered me a little, maybe
It is scaremongering from the right wing, maybe there is truth to it,
In the end I am just providing some links to short readings/mail posts
So you also have this information.

In the end, some choose SQL some mySQL, some PHP some Java, etc etc.

As a taster, I know I don't always follow links blindly :-

>From the Web Standards Group, cited from Lachlan Hunt with thanks

"... the major browser vendors have already unanimously decided what they
will be implementing. It is a minor fork in the road, but it's not a big
issue since the other alternative is a dead end. XHTML 2.0 is effectively
dead and is relatively safe to ignore. HTML 5 is the most relevant spec..."

Full post at
http://mail-archive.com/listdad@webstandardsgroup.org/msg08110.html

He also has some more similar thoughts at :-

http://www.robertnyman.com/2007/02/05/html-5-or-xhtml-2/#comment-34198

This second one links to a short blog entry by Tim Berners-Lee :-

http://dig.csail.mit.edu/breadcrumbs/node/166

Anyway, thought I'd mention it, makes for interesting reading, but does it
Affect us here at Forrest ? That may need more discussion or it the
community may just say, no, we are heading this way and that's it.

Personally, I was drawn to XHTML 2 and have been following that path.
For me to change my own mind and need to do some reading up.

Gav...