forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Gav...." <brightoncomput...@brightontown.com.au>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] Switch dependency managment to IVY
Date Mon, 26 Feb 2007 13:01:57 GMT

Erm, nope sorry, I was still looking at Ivy in Forrest 2, oops.
I must have missed/skimmed a conversation somewhere. Are you
Now concentrating on converting current 0.8-dev to use Ivy?

Downloaded the branch now, been a while since I downloaded a complete
Version of Forrest, this took over an hour, the checkout gave up half
Way through and I had to svn up the rest of it.

I thought I'd do a quick comparison of this branch and trunk.

(The comparison includes .svn directories and files so is not an
Indicator of true size)

Seems ivyBuild uses up 140Mb compared to Trunk's 256MB
ivyBuild has 23,565 files compared with Trunks 41,886.

Heading in the right direction I think.

The repository used up 24Mb and contains 1030 files (inc .svn)

When Ivy is in use properly I guess to start with only a handful
Of these are downloaded initially and the 30MB in /lib/ wont
Be downloaded at all, a great saving.
When Forrest is run for The first time and Ivy is invoked then the 24MB of
files will Then be downloaded into Ivy Cache, is this right. If so then
A bit of a wait is in store for users. Will there be an (option
Of an) initial Download of all these files packaged as part of the release
and  Then Ivy takes over from there for updates?

Gav...