forrest-dev mailing list archives

From C.Grobmeier <grobme...@possessed.de>
Subject Re: Ivy or Maven2 (was Re: PoC StAX implementation of dispatcher)
Date Thu, 25 Jan 2007 12:19:48 GMT

Hi,

>Is IVY+ANT better than Maven? My desk research says yes, but I have
>never done anything in Maven, so I can't support this from experience.
>All I know is I am sticking with IVY+ANT in my own work because I'm
>happy with it.

i have expierences in maven and in ant. I didn't try ivy at the moment. But i figured out,
that it's hard to build with maven when i have special requirements. It needs lots time to
configure everything you want and in my opinion maven has two benefits: dependency management,the
documentation stuff and the easy integration of metric reports.

Dependency management can be done by ivy. It sounded like ivy is quite cool and easy for this.
I am really eager to see ivy in action.

Documentation in forrest will be done in forrest. I think there is no discussion.

Metric reports: it's possible to do this in ant too. Maybe it's more work here, but i don't
think it's too hard.

Forrest is more complex to build than a standard day-life project. If i could decide i would
go the ant/ivy way too and maybe borrow some ideas of maven where possible.

Just my 2 pence :-)
cheers,
Chris