forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Cyriaque Dupoirieux <Cyriaque.Dupoiri...@pcotech.fr>
Subject Re: Getting 0.8-dev out the door
Date Mon, 29 Jan 2007 11:17:21 GMT
le 29/01/2007 00:17 Thorsten Scherler a écrit :
> On Sat, 2007-01-27 at 11:44 +0900, Gav.... wrote:
>
>> There has been lots of talk lately regarding upgrading Cocoon, using
>> Ivy/Maven + other stuff.
>>
>> All of these are fine and are paving the way forward, but as far as I can
>> see , none of these should be affecting what happens in 0.8-dev, they are
>> talks for possibly the next version.
>>

> Yes, I agree.

Don't know exactly...

>> I am concerned that everybody is already moving on to the next greatest
>> thing and leaving 0.8-dev behind in its unfinished state.
>>

> No, I myself need a 0.8 release (within the next couple of months).

I also need a stable 0.8 release to dive into forrest 2 !

>> Whilst I
>> appreciate that everyone has their own agendas on what is good for them,
>> what is good for the short term of the project is not being attended to and
>> this can lead to a long term deficit.
>>

> Yeah, in lenya we are suffering ATM the consequences. People get the
> impression there is no development since there is no release.

Exact, we all think the same when we download an open source project...
I think we should think about a way to really shorten our release lifecycle.
A small version every three months should be motivating for us - devs -
and above all for forrest users !
If you are using linux, look at the pleasure you have when the system
updates the programs you are using :-)  ! That's great to see bugs are
fixed and that new features always appear.

>> I would like to know what everyone feels about everyone concentrating on
>> getting 0.8-dev fixed and released as soon as possible. There are 25 roadmap
>> issues and if everyone worked on them it wouldn't take long to get these
>> crossed off. We should also resurrect IRC sessions purely for collaboration
>> on getting 0.8 issues fixed.
>>

> agree, but somebody need to follow it through. There have been many
> attempts from different people so far.
>

>> The one major decision in the release is whether or not dispatcher is ready
>> to be released from the whiteboard into (I think Thorsten mentioned) a
>> plugin endorsed by the community, or whether it will be part of core.

To complex to decide. Dispatcher can stay in the whiteboard.
An old roadmap was to clear the core from skin and to create an
independent plugin for skin so that the forrest users can choose the way
to generate.
(We are far from this dream, many thing from the skin still appear in a
site generated with the dispatcher...)

Salutations,
Cyriaque,