forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ivy or Maven2 (was Re: PoC StAX implementation of dispatcher)
Date Thu, 25 Jan 2007 12:30:10 GMT
C.Grobmeier wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Is IVY+ANT better than Maven? My desk research says yes, but I have
>> never done anything in Maven, so I can't support this from experience.
>> All I know is I am sticking with IVY+ANT in my own work because I'm
>> happy with it.
>
> i have expierences in maven and in ant. I didn't try ivy at the moment. But i figured
out, that it's hard to build with maven when i have special requirements. It needs lots time
to configure everything you want and in my opinion maven has two benefits: dependency management,the
documentation stuff and the easy integration of metric reports.

> Dependency management can be done by ivy. It sounded like ivy is quite cool and easy
for this. I am really eager to see ivy in action.

> Documentation in forrest will be done in forrest. I think there is no discussion.
>
> Metric reports: it's possible to do this in ant too. Maybe it's more work here, but i
don't think it's too hard.

Most of the decent metrics applications have ANT plugins so no problem
there. Furthermore, Forrest is about content integration so getting the
outputs of those plugins in our site should not be hard, but more work
than with Maven that does it out of the box.

> Forrest is more complex to build than a standard day-life project. If i could decide
i would go the ant/ivy way too and maybe borrow some ideas of maven where possible.

> Just my 2 pence :-)

Thanks.

Ross