forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Getting 0.8-dev out the door
Date Mon, 29 Jan 2007 05:09:29 GMT
Gav.... wrote:
> There has been lots of talk lately regarding upgrading Cocoon, using
> Ivy/Maven + other stuff.
>
> All of these are fine and are paving the way forward, but as far as I can
> see , none of these should be affecting what happens in 0.8-dev, they are
> talks for possibly the next version.

Ideally our Cocoon upgrade would happen before our 0.8 release.

The re-structuring of the content of the release might require
Ivy/etc.

> I am concerned that everybody is already moving on to the next greatest
> thing and leaving 0.8-dev behind in its unfinished state. Whilst I
> appreciate that everyone has their own agendas on what is good for them,
> what is good for the short term of the project is not being attended to and
> this can lead to a long term deficit.
>
> I would like to know what everyone feels about everyone concentrating on
> getting 0.8-dev fixed and released as soon as possible. There are 25 roadmap
> issues and if everyone worked on them it wouldn't take long to get these
> crossed off.

Thanks, it is good to see someone else trying to move the
release along.

See the recent dev archives. It has already been tried a few times.
Perhaps it needs another attempt to narrow down the issues.
See the last attempts and try again to summarise the state of things.
However, i think that you will find that we have summarised
and talked enough. It needs action on the outstanding issues,
with which any developer can help.

Note that we do not need to solve every outstanding issue
in that roadmap, e.g. FOR-635 was present in 0.7 release.

One of the main issues is to decide the content of the release
and then re-write the Ant target "release-dist". There is a recent
dev thread and issue started for that.

Another is the documentation which contains out-of-date
examples of sitemaps.

> We should also resurrect IRC sessions purely for collaboration
> on getting 0.8 issues fixed.

Why does it need IRC? The mailing list should suffice.

> The one major decision in the release is whether or not dispatcher is ready
> to be released from the whiteboard into (I think Thorsten mentioned) a
> plugin endorsed by the community, or whether it will be part of core.

The last time that we discussed the release, it was not
a requirement that the Dispatcher be ready.

> My thoughts are that a plugin for dispatcher is appropriate, although this
> could be interpreted as optional, meaning skins would need to be continue to
> be supported and developed and the only other alternative to dispatcher
> themes. Once that is decided it should then not hold up the release.
> Dispatcher has been quoted many times to other Apache Projects and users of
> Forrest and I am sure there would be disappointment if this were not
> released with or at the same time as 0.8-dev.

It should only have been mentioned to developers.
They can use it already.

-David