forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject upgrade strategies for our packaged Cocoon
Date Thu, 25 Jan 2007 02:56:32 GMT
For a long time now we have not been able to upgrade
our packaged Cocoon.

This is an undesirable situation for the Forrest
community and we need to fix it. Forrest developers
need to be able to make changes to Cocoon and have
those abilities available in their Forrest, as was
always intended.

I have spent a huge amount of behind-the-scenes effort
on this and now need to tell you what i know. Perhaps
someone else can help to break this deadlock.

Way back, Nicola Ken added the "pass-through" sitemap
ability to Cocoon, which enabled us to do wonderful
stuff with Forrest: split up our core sitemaps, add
plugins with their own sitemaps, etc.

This ability went into trunk, i.e. 2.2 and not into the
2.1 branch. Also Forrest at the time was being a good
test of the Cocoon trunk. It was also great for community
building via Apache Gump which gave notifications when
something busted, so we could fix our code, fix Cocoon code,
fix Excalibur code, etc.

Using trunk was a good decision.

Then we came to a standstill, partly due to Cocoon trunk
enhancement which we needed to keep up with, partly due
to mavenisation, and partly due to Gump ceasing to build
Cocoon trunk due to lack of Maven2 support.

svn log lib/core/cocoon-2.2.0-dev.jar shows that it has
been over 12 months:
r355366 ... Upgrade Cocoon to r351990 2005-12-08

I tried to persist for a long time to get Cocoon trunk
integrated again into Forrest. Around r453411 2006-10-06
i got a Maven build of Cocoon happening and had partial
success with using that in Forrest.

Now Cocoon has put jars into the Maven repository and
developed some documentation for 2.2 at cocoon.zones.a.o
it should be easier. We should be able to use Ivy or Maven
to grab what we need. I don't have time, so perhaps someone
else can try.

All this while i was also trying the alternative of
"upgrade" to Cocoon-2.1 branch. I wondered if perhaps
the "pass-through sitemap" ability had been ported from
the trunk.

Recently i finally had success with 2.1 Cocoon.
Not everything works, but there is enough to give hope.
Forrest's PDF plugin does work, which makes me think
that the sitemaps work properly. I have not yet tried the
Dispatcher plugins.

I will add my test changes regarding 2.1 to a Jira issue
so that someone else has a head-start.

-David