forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ivy or Maven2 (was Re: PoC StAX implementation of dispatcher)
Date Thu, 25 Jan 2007 21:12:08 GMT
On Thu, 2007-01-25 at 13:19 +0100, C.Grobmeier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> >Is IVY+ANT better than Maven? My desk research says yes, but I have
> >never done anything in Maven, so I can't support this from experience.
> >All I know is I am sticking with IVY+ANT in my own work because I'm
> >happy with it.

Thanks Ross for sharing your research.

> i have expierences in maven and in ant.

I more with ant then maven2. I worked as well a bit with maven1.

> I didn't try ivy at the moment.

me neither.

> But i figured out, that it's hard to build with maven when i have special requirements.

One think I really hate on maven is the properties system. I love the
local.build.properties override style in ant and with maven that means
always headaches. I agree with you Chris.

> It needs lots time to configure everything you want

totally agreed.

>  and in my opinion maven has two benefits: dependency management,the documentation stuff
and the easy integration of metric reports.

> Dependency management can be done by ivy. It sounded like ivy is quite cool and easy
for this. I am really eager to see ivy in action.

me too.

> Documentation in forrest will be done in forrest. I think there is no discussion.

eat your own dog food.

> Metric reports: it's possible to do this in ant too. Maybe it's more work here, but i
don't think it's too hard.

yes

> Forrest is more complex to build than a standard day-life project. If i could decide
i would go the ant/ivy way too and maybe borrow some ideas of maven where possible.

I need to look into ivy, sounds it does one think and this very well. I
like that. Maven is more the complete package that you hardly ever need
together.

> Just my 2 pence :-)

Thanks for the feedback.

salu2