forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Building Forrest 2
Date Sun, 17 Dec 2006 21:53:13 GMT
Gav.... wrote:

> [...]

Sorry, I had not committed my locationmap change that fixed this.

I've been using the Eclipse SVN plugin recently and, as always seems to
be the case when I use GUI interfaces I make mistakes. Not excusable -
I'm back to the command line again (this was an experiment to review a
claim I make in a presentation I make fairly frequently about GUI's
interfaces to version control being c**p - glad I don't have to change
my slide ;-)

Anyway, your solution is slightly different to mine, but I yours is in
there now, so we'll stick with that. Thanks.

With respect to your change to the build.xml file, it's not necessary.
But if you find it more appropriate this way, I have no problem with it
(this whole section will need to be refactored when we have plugin

Big thanks for the corrections to my docs too.

> Using the 'dot' in '.*' in regexp can I believe cause problems
> Between Unix and Windows if used in such a way the newlines
> Are part of the equation, not sure if it will apply here or in
> The future.

I really want to reuse the matcher code from Cocoon for the matcher
stuff that would provide us with the more user friendly Cocoon notation
(as well as a more complete RE implementation).

> I also think that as part of the 'clean' process we should be deleting the
> Content.object.build.dir, WDYT?

+1 (I've made the change)

> It would be nice at this stage to be able to run a webapp (using Jetty ?)
> To see some styled output to a web browser.
>
> What needs to be done to do this?

It's very simple (if you know servlets), one of the goals of Forrest2 is
to make it easy to embed in different environments.

I do have basic code for this, I committed it to SVN just before sending
this mail. See the see forrest-webapp dir.

The "problem" with this code is that it does not have a *working* ANT
script (or other mechanism) for running it in Jetty or whatever, I have
not found the time to complete this yet. If you want to complete the
necessary runner in the ANT script, that would be very helpful.

The second problem is that there is very little testing on this code (in
fact none since I did all the recent refactoring) and I have not made
any attempt to make it configurable. Of course, I am more than happy to
turn some of my attention to this if it is what is needed to help people
  explore Forrest2.

> I see the Wicket Demo has a webapp, how can I run that?

The easiest way is to use Eclipse with the Wicket Bench plugin. However,
be aware that this uses wicket 2 (still in alpha) and that the published
Wicket Bench plugin is for Wicket 1.2 (there is a snapshot compiled
against Wicket 2.0).

The current Wicket Demo is pretty limited and is only really useful as a
demo. Whilst this is also true of the webapp code I think our community
efforts would be better spent on the servlet webapp since this is more
accessible, i.e. it has no additional dependencies.

Of course, if you have a special interest in Wicket integration stuff
then I'll be happy to help you get it up and running.

> I don't have a JAVA editor AFAIK so can not edit the .class or .java files,
> Any suggestions on a suitable program to use?

I use Eclipse. All my Java code committed to SVN have the necessary
eclipse config files (although they are not tested outside of my own
environment).

Ross