forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Building Forrest 2
Date Thu, 14 Dec 2006 09:06:08 GMT
Gav.... wrote:
> I'll take a look tomorrow Ross,
>
> I did notice that the /build/* is being created in [FORREST2_HOME]/build/*
> And output messages seemed to indicate it is looking for it but can not
> Find it in [FORREST2_HOME]/src/examples/helloworld/build/*
>
> So is 'build/*' being created in the wrong place or looked for in the
> Wrong place, or is this the correct operation (and so I'll look at your
> Other hints tomorrow)

It's a little clumsy at present. The core code is compiled to
FORREST2_HOME/build - which makes sense.

However (from memory - i.e. check against the code, which I don't have
access to right now) in order to honour locations such as
"classpath:xdocs/$(1)" we currently also compile the content object
stuff to FORREST2_HOME/build.

The reason for this is that some content objects currently contain
plugin code which needs compiling and there is no plugin loading
mechanism at present.

So, in answer to your question, if Forrest is looking in
[FORREST2_HOME]/src/examples/helloworld/build this is probably wrong
(needs verifying).

It would be better to compile the plugin code in place (i.e. to
[PLUGIN_HOME]/build) and add this to the classpath of the VM executing
Forrest, if your using the ANT run task this is easy enough to do (just
add it to the classpath in the target). It will also need to be added to
the CLI but I would ignore that for now, I plan to use a CLI helper
class for this.

All this then leaves the question of what to do with the XDocs and
suchlike. Most important is that we don't want to be copying source code
into the build directories as we are doing now. We need copyless editing
as in Forrest1. Again, this should be a case of just adding the
[CONTENT_OBJECT]/src directory to the classpath.

I hope this helps if you want to take a look at things. I'll be back on
my usually dev machines at the weekend and can help out then if need be.

Ross