forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Building Forrest 2
Date Wed, 13 Dec 2006 13:14:25 GMT
Gav.... wrote:

> [...]

Now there is a useful error message! It has been improved in the latest
SVN, I think, but if you did an SVN up then obviously not.

Anyway, I just tried the "Getting Started" instructions word for word
and reproduced the error you report. I must have broken something in my
recent work. All the automated tests run, but the getting started
instructions do not.

I'll look at this ASAP, but it won't be for a few days.

If you are interested in looking into the problem the key is:

      [java]  Processing request for helloWorld.html
      [java] 4717 [main] DEBUG org.apache.forrest.cli.CLI (CLI.java:94)
  - Proces
sing: helloWorld.html
      [java] 4717 [main] DEBUG
org.apache.forrest.core.locationMap.LocationMap (L
ocationMap.java:114)  - Getting potential locations for request of
helloWorld.ht
ml
      [java] 4777 [main] INFO
org.apache.forrest.core.locationMap.LocationMap (L
ocationMap.java:123)  - 1 potential location from pattern (.*)/(.*).html
      [java] org.apache.forrest.core.exception.ProcessingException:
Unable to cre
ate the output documents for helloWorld.html caused by Unable to get a
source do
cument for request helloWorld.html
      [java]     at
org.apache.forrest.core.Controller.getOutputDocument(Controll
er.java:486)
      [java]     at org.apache.forrest.cli.CLI.processURIs(CLI.java:95)
      [java]     at org.apache.forrest.cli.CLI.main(CLI.java:65)
      [java] 4787 [main] ERROR org.apache.forrest.cli.CLI (CLI.java:69)
  - org.ap
ache.forrest.core.exception.ProcessingException: Unable to create the
output doc
uments for helloWorld.html caused by Unable to get a source document for
request
  helloWorld.html
      [java] Caused by:
org.apache.forrest.core.exception.ProcessingException: Un
able to get a source document for request helloWorld.html

(note the improved error messages in the latest version)

It looks like the reader is unable to find the source document, but it
is finding a potential match in the locationmap.

Three possibilities immediately jump to mind:

- the reader is not finding the resource (perhaps it is not being copied
into the classpath by the build system - it's not copyless yet)

- the reader is incorrectly loading the source document (I've done lots
of refactoring of the readers and internal docs recently, so this could
be the case - need to add better log messages to the readers to trace
this - or step through with a debugger)

- The locationmap is not being resolved correctly and hence the reader
is looking in the wrong place (again need to improve logging in the reader)

You understand I'm not asking you to debug this, just documenting the
potential issues in an attempt to help build an understanding of how
things work internally.

Ross