forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: content of release [was: Re: review list of scheduled issues for 0.8 release]
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2006 13:39:02 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:

>> Perhaps the webapp should be moved to the whiteboard, leaving the CLI in
>> tools and therefore the release. This would reduce the forrest bot from
>> approx 3.7MB to approx 1.3MB.
>
> I don't agree with that approach. In the past we have released
> the main forrest with known issues. Good if we can document in Jira
> anything that we know about. Then people can see list of issues
> that remain in the release.

Hmmmm... I don't think we have ever released with a serious issue like
reporting a successful build when it is actually a failed build. To do
so deliberately would be a grave mistake since it would affect the vast
majority of users using the forrestbot webapp.

The stability issues I refer to is not necessarily a problem for the
majority of users, so need not be a problem for the release. I suspect
it is a matter of scalability (thousands of pages from 3 or 4
distributed sources is not a typical use of Forrest).

The issues are already in Jira, e.g.
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-767 I can't tell you why it is
not in the 0.8 roadmap, I guess nobody considers it important. So again,
I wonder if the forrestbot webapp is community supported. If not, it
should go into whiteboard where such an issue is not a problem.

Ross