forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: content of release [was: Re: review list of scheduled issues for 0.8 release]
Date Mon, 04 Dec 2006 07:25:51 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >Ross Gardler wrote:

> >>Perhaps the webapp should be moved to the whiteboard, leaving the CLI in
> >>tools and therefore the release. This would reduce the forrest bot from
> >>approx 3.7MB to approx 1.3MB.
> >
> >I don't agree with that approach. In the past we have released
> >the main forrest with known issues. Good if we can document in Jira
> >anything that we know about. Then people can see list of issues
> >that remain in the release.
>
> Hmmmm... I don't think we have ever released with a serious issue like
> reporting a successful build when it is actually a failed build. To do
> so deliberately would be a grave mistake since it would affect the vast
> majority of users using the forrestbot webapp.

That is one of the remaining issues to be considered for
the 0.8 release.

It was the new "stability" issue and the idea to hold back
a release or split up the package, that i saw a need to comment.

Yes we have released before with serious issues, e.g. there is
a memory problem with 0.7

> The stability issues I refer to is not necessarily a problem for the
> majority of users, so need not be a problem for the release. I suspect
> it is a matter of scalability (thousands of pages from 3 or 4
> distributed sources is not a typical use of Forrest).

We should add a brief note to a new Jira issue.
The "forrestbot" Jira component only lists FOR-767

> The issues are already in Jira, e.g.
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-767 I can't tell you why it is
> not in the 0.8 roadmap, I guess nobody considers it important.

You must be in a rush. It is on the roadmap.

> So again,
> I wonder if the forrestbot webapp is community supported. If not, it
> should go into whiteboard where such an issue is not a problem.

This raises an important criteria that we have decided
on before: community support.

Perhaps we do need to separate the forrestbot webapp.

-David