forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <>
Subject Re: i18n Usage
Date Sun, 31 Dec 2006 19:08:41 GMT
On Sat, 2006-12-30 at 14:34 +0100, C. Grobmeier wrote:
> Hi all,
> it found it quite difficult to find out how all this i18n stuff works
> :-) However, i patched forrest with
> which works fine! It's a pity that it hasn't not comitted yet.

Hmm, yeah I will do this now, but I guess we thought it is not yet fully
finished (reading the comment). Thanks for successfully testing.

> I do not understand how these files are used:
> langcode.xml
> No idea. But i guess all languages must be registered there? I am curios
> cause "de" for german is not inside, but in the samples "de" works.

cat langcode.xml
  This catalog is used so displays how the language name
  is named by their speakers.

Reading this I added <message key="de">Deutsch</message>

> languages_XX.xml
> Translates the names for the languages. No idea where this will be used.

Hmm that seems to be the translated langcode.xml for each language.

> I heard of an language-selection contract which Sjur has written, but i
> didn't find it in the cvs-dist.
> menu.xml
> menu_XX.xml
> Seems to be the translation for the menus found in site.xml. Seems to be
> matched by the "label" attribute.

Not sure I understand you. The key attribute.

> tabs.xml
> tabs_XX.xml
> Same goes here: translation for the tabs.xml in the projects root
> folder. Matched also by the "label" attribute

see above

> It seems also that the translation files menu.xml and tabs.xml are
> optional.

More the default (fallback) files.

> sorftware works without them. Can you explain a bit more on
> this or tell me how to find out?

Menu and tabs are like

Sorry for not be able to tell you more, but your findings and
understanding seems to be correct.

> Regards, Thanks, Happy New Year,

Thanks, yeah happy new year.

> Chris