forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: i18n Usage
Date Sun, 31 Dec 2006 19:08:41 GMT
On Sat, 2006-12-30 at 14:34 +0100, C. Grobmeier wrote:
> Hi all,
> it found it quite difficult to find out how all this i18n stuff works
> :-) However, i patched forrest with
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-937
> which works fine! It's a pity that it hasn't not comitted yet.

Hmm, yeah I will do this now, but I guess we thought it is not yet fully
finished (reading the comment). Thanks for successfully testing.

> I do not understand how these files are used:
>
> langcode.xml
> No idea. But i guess all languages must be registered there? I am curios
> cause "de" for german is not inside, but in the samples "de" works.

cat langcode.xml
<!--
  This catalog is used so displays how the language name
  is named by their speakers.
-->

Reading this I added <message key="de">Deutsch</message>

> languages_XX.xml
> Translates the names for the languages. No idea where this will be used.

Hmm that seems to be the translated langcode.xml for each language.

> I heard of an language-selection contract which Sjur has written, but i
> didn't find it in the cvs-dist.
>
> menu.xml
> menu_XX.xml
> Seems to be the translation for the menus found in site.xml. Seems to be
> matched by the "label" attribute.

Not sure I understand you. The key attribute.

> tabs.xml
> tabs_XX.xml
> Same goes here: translation for the tabs.xml in the projects root
> folder. Matched also by the "label" attribute

see above

> It seems also that the translation files menu.xml and tabs.xml are
> optional.

More the default (fallback) files.

> sorftware works without them. Can you explain a bit more on
> this or tell me how to find out?

Menu and tabs are like http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_80/linking.html

Sorry for not be able to tell you more, but your findings and
understanding seems to be correct.

> Regards, Thanks, Happy New Year,

Thanks, yeah happy new year.

> Chris