forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Gav...." <brightoncomput...@brightontown.com.au>
Subject RE: Building Forrest 2
Date Sun, 17 Dec 2006 22:38:45 GMT

No problem.

> I've been using the Eclipse SVN plugin recently and, as always seems to
> be the case when I use GUI interfaces I make mistakes. Not excusable -
> I'm back to the command line again (this was an experiment to review a
> claim I make in a presentation I make fairly frequently about GUI's
> interfaces to version control being c**p - glad I don't have to change
> my slide ;-)

I have Eclipse and I saw the SVN integration, I remembered conversations
Before about using GUIs (specifically TortoiseSVN in that case) so I
Kept well away.

> Anyway, your solution is slightly different to mine, but I yours is in
> there now, so we'll stick with that. Thanks.

Ok.

> With respect to your change to the build.xml file, it's not necessary.
> But if you find it more appropriate this way, I have no problem with it
> (this whole section will need to be refactored when we have plugin

Ok.

> Big thanks for the corrections to my docs too.

No problem. My approach here was to purposely go through and spot any
Errors, spelling or otherwise. This has the effect of me therefore
Reading through all of your docs and code to familiarise myself
With it all a bit more. It's doing the trick.

> > Using the 'dot' in '.*' in regexp can I believe cause problems
> > Between Unix and Windows if used in such a way the newlines
> > Are part of the equation, not sure if it will apply here or in
> > The future.
>
> I really want to reuse the matcher code from Cocoon for the matcher
> stuff that would provide us with the more user friendly Cocoon notation
> (as well as a more complete RE implementation).
>
> > I also think that as part of the 'clean' process we should be deleting
> the
> > Content.object.build.dir, WDYT?
>
> +1 (I've made the change)

I see this just came through as I'm replying , thanks.
The 9 hours time difference now is coming in handy :)
(Perth just re-introduced daylight saving after 20+ years)

> > It would be nice at this stage to be able to run a webapp (using Jetty
> ?)
> > To see some styled output to a web browser.
> >
> > What needs to be done to do this?
>
> It's very simple (if you know servlets), one of the goals of Forrest2 is
> to make it easy to embed in different environments.
>
> I do have basic code for this, I committed it to SVN just before sending
> this mail. See the see forrest-webapp dir.
>
> The "problem" with this code is that it does not have a *working* ANT
> script (or other mechanism) for running it in Jetty or whatever, I have
> not found the time to complete this yet. If you want to complete the
> necessary runner in the ANT script, that would be very helpful.

Ok, I'll take a look.

> The second problem is that there is very little testing on this code (in
> fact none since I did all the recent refactoring) and I have not made
> any attempt to make it configurable. Of course, I am more than happy to
> turn some of my attention to this if it is what is needed to help people
>   explore Forrest2.

I think more people would be more inclined to take a look if there was an
Initial running site in the web browser. But you can't do everything, there
May be those interested in Forrest2 but are holding backto do this, or
They may simply be concentrating on the official Forrest 1 version.
As said before, I am interested in Forrest 2 and where it's heading, so
I'm looking at it when I find extra time, but my main focus must still
Lie with Forrest 1, we need to get 0.8 finished.

> > I see the Wicket Demo has a webapp, how can I run that?
>
> The easiest way is to use Eclipse with the Wicket Bench plugin. However,
> be aware that this uses wicket 2 (still in alpha) and that the published
> Wicket Bench plugin is for Wicket 1.2 (there is a snapshot compiled
> against Wicket 2.0).
>
> The current Wicket Demo is pretty limited and is only really useful as a
> demo. Whilst this is also true of the webapp code I think our community
> efforts would be better spent on the servlet webapp since this is more
> accessible, i.e. it has no additional dependencies.
>
> Of course, if you have a special interest in Wicket integration stuff
> then I'll be happy to help you get it up and running.

No, I have no special interest in Wicket personally (atm) , just curious, so
I'll leave that alone.

> > I don't have a JAVA editor AFAIK so can not edit the .class or .java
> files,
> > Any suggestions on a suitable program to use?
>
> I use Eclipse. All my Java code committed to SVN have the necessary
> eclipse config files (although they are not tested outside of my own
> environment).

Hmm, I do have Eclipse, forgot I had it, no real time to learn it at
The moment. I didn't really want to set up projects within it at the
Moment, just wanted something that I can use to just edit a .class
File and look inside. I also Have IntelliJ Idea, though my request
For a license in February still has not come through. This is also
Similar to Eclipse in that as far as I can see , you need to set up
Complete projects rather than peeking at individual class files.

Gav...