forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Tim Williams" <william...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: content of release [was: Re: review list of scheduled issues for 0.8 release]
Date Mon, 27 Nov 2006 21:13:37 GMT
> David Crossley wrote:

> >> Whiteboard should be a separate download.
> >
> > Why all of it? Is that all targetted at users and ready
> > for them? The Forrest PMC would need to vote on its release
> > as a package.
>
> Whiteboard is, by definition, experimental code that does not yet have a
> community. Making it easy for users to access it opens us to support
> requests. We should be encouraging technical users to dip there feet in.
>
> So, my preference would be to not provide a release for anything in
> whiteboard. Only make it available via SVN. I know this will be greeted
> with some resistence, and I'm sure much of it will be supported with
> valid argument. I'm not insisting on this, just thinking aloud.

+1 on only making it available via SVN.  We don't endorse it as a PMC.
 Most folks who might have a peek at the whiteboard have probably
already decided to get forrest via svn anyway.

> >> Having said all this the real problem with our size is the jars we
> >> bundle not Forrest itself, these account for 40Mb according to "du -h
> >> lib" trimming a further 1 or two meg by dropping source is kind of
> >> irrelevant most people will have a brew during download whether it is
> >> 42Mb or 44Mb.
> >
> > Sounds like a task for Ivy. We also have some duplicate jars
> > at various other places in our SVN.
>
> Yes I'll call the vote on the use of IVY when I return home (later this
> week).

This is indeed a problem and I'm cool with looking into Ivy as a
potential solution; however, it is not *the* real problem.  There are
many "real" problems that we are discussing here.  Fix this one and
the additional 2.9Mb from the site-author might be the next optional
bloat.  Fix that one and the *.java files might be the next priority.
They're all real though.

> >> Everything except whiteboard?
> >
> > What about my proposal above to have combined binary/source
> > release (like we do now) except only have separate packages
> > of specific parts, i.e. not everything.

I'm not sure how that'd be done?
--tim