forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: content of release [was: Re: review list of scheduled issues for 0.8 release]
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2006 23:21:35 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-11-28 at 18:54 +1100, David Crossley wrote:
>> Tim Williams wrote:
>>> I'm not sure how that'd be done?
>> Neither am i.
>>
>> If you are talking about the mechanics of it, see below.
>> We discussed some the specific parts in the other replies.
>>
>> See the "release-dist" Ant target in main/build.xml
>>
>> I presume that we get it to include only certain parts of
>> the trunk into separate packages. We have things well-separated,
>> so it should be simple. FLW.
>>
>> We also need to create LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt in the
>> top of each package. Should be okay with Ant.
>
> As I see it, it should not be hard to package the release different. The
> question is whether you want to package them apart, e.g. forrestbot
> without forrest.
>
> That leaves us with packages like:
> * forrest-core
> * forrestbot
> * eclipse-tool
> * forrestbar
>
> Then the packages can be downloaded separately, similar like they do it
> with tomcat and the admin interface.
>
> Regarding the whiteboard and seeing that the dispatcher has gained wider
> community support, I think we should either move the dispatcher out of
> the whiteboard or include the whiteboard into the release.

I'm still of the opinion that nothing in whiteboard goes into the
release. If something is stable and community oriented enough to warrant
going into the release then we should attend to it as part of the 0.8
release cycle.

Candidates for migration from whiteboard are, IMHO:

- dispatcher
- forrestbot
- forrestbar

Dispatcher looks like a given to me, in fact I've called for someone to
bring it out of whiteboard many times, if the devs active on that code
now agree it is ready then this is great news.

Forrestbot is, in my opinion, not stable or complete enough for release
as a user tool (althoug I do have it running in a couple of locations).
David points out that we have "released" it before, but this is only as
a part of whiteboard, I don't really see that as a release since
whiteboard has always had the status of experimental and potentially
unsupported code.

Forrest bar seems very popular with devs and is a very useful tool when
trying to empower new devs. We are missing an opportunity having it
hidden away in whiteboard. Someone should bring it out (sorry, not me,
too little time right now).

Ross