forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: content of release [was: Re: review list of scheduled issues for 0.8 release]
Date Mon, 27 Nov 2006 18:06:38 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:

>>> We also have stuff in whiteboard to consider.
>> Whiteboard should be a separate download.
>
> Why all of it? Is that all targetted at users and ready
> for them? The Forrest PMC would need to vote on its release
> as a package.

Whiteboard is, by definition, experimental code that does not yet have a
community. Making it easy for users to access it opens us to support
requests. We should be encouraging technical users to dip there feet in.

So, my preference would be to not provide a release for anything in
whiteboard. Only make it available via SVN. I know this will be greeted
with some resistence, and I'm sure much of it will be supported with
valid argument. I'm not insisting on this, just thinking aloud.

>> Having said all this the real problem with our size is the jars we
>> bundle not Forrest itself, these account for 40Mb according to "du -h
>> lib" trimming a further 1 or two meg by dropping source is kind of
>> irrelevant most people will have a brew during download whether it is
>> 42Mb or 44Mb.
>
> Sounds like a task for Ivy. We also have some duplicate jars
> at various other places in our SVN.

Yes I'll call the vote on the use of IVY when I return home (later this
week).

>>> Are you still wanting that? It would be huge.
>> Everything except whiteboard?
>
> What about my proposal above to have combined binary/source
> release (like we do now) except only have separate packages
> of specific parts, i.e. not everything.

Sure, if that's what people want, see my comments above about excluding
Whiteboard. When it comes down to it I'm not going to be building the
release, so whatever someone asks me to test I'll go with.

Ross