forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Ivy for Dependency Management
Date Sat, 18 Nov 2006 00:23:04 GMT
In the last few months I have been discovering the joys of IVY for
dependency management [1].

I propose that we switch Forrest to using Ivy for all dependency management.

Ivy was recently accepted into the ASF Incubator, the project also
maintains a sandbox repository that contains most of the dependencies of
Forrest, I maintain a private repo that has at least the missing stuff
for the whiteboard Forrest2 implementation. I'll move this to the Ivy
sandbox repo ASAP.

The obvious question is why Ivy and not Maven?

For me it is because:

a) it works (I've had nightmares with Maven2 on a major project)
b) it *only* does dependency management
c) it leaves build management to Ant

Take a look at it we'll take a vote when any discussion has died down.

Ross

[1] http://www.jayasoft.fr/org/modules/ivy/overview.php