forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: review list of scheduled issues for 0.8 release
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2006 09:01:34 GMT
Wow, another four months have flown by since last time
that we tried to narrow down the list of issues.

All developers can assist with this, don't leave it to
the committers. If you want to see the 0.8 release then
please help.

We are down from 37 to 26 issues for filter "FOR-roadmap-dev".
http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=12310820

The main reason for the reduction is that last time we decided
to delay some issues. A little progress has also been made with
some other things.

I have added some comments below to explain the status of each.
When it is the same as last time, then i tried to summarise
previous comments.

I have tried to identify some that can be moved over to 0.9-dev.

Many issues seem to be the same as last time, even though they
only require some simple documentation. Please help.

------------------------
FOR-855 verify the license situation prior to each release

Because we let the release slip past the cut-off date 1 November,
we now need to fully meet the new policy. Main job is to organise
the license files for supporting products and refer to them.
See Cliff's doc linked from FOR-855.

------------------------
FOR-865 Add missing entries to status.xml to generate the changes list

Still need to review and move some out into each plugin.

Need to ensure each new plugin is mentioned in top-level status file.

Also need to set the importance attribute for some entries so that
they show up in our release notes.

------------------------
FOR-868 add relevant notes to the "Upgrading" xdoc

Needs attention.

------------------------
FOR-533 Auto Generate plugins.xml entry

Same as last time.
Ross explained what needs to happen and suggested we do this for 0.8

------------------------
FOR-639 define terminology for the various aspects of Dispatcher

Same as last time.
A doc has been started. We need more content.

Perhaps we just need a document to describe how to use Forrest as a web application.

------------------------
FOR-711 Cache results from the Locationmap

Same as last time.
Needs FAQ and get some comments from mail archives into docs.

------------------------
FOR-742 trouble accessing unversioned plugin for a released version of Forrest, e.g. projectInfo

Perhaps this can be closed. Cyriaque and Ross seem happy.

------------------------
FOR-241 character entities (e.g. ampersand) are expanded again for href or src attributes

Suggest delay until 0.9 as the issue has been around for a long time.

------------------------
FOR-200 Locationmap for Forrest and Users

Same as last time.
This must be getting close. Investigate.

------------------------
FOR-546 Sitemap reference doc should be updated to reflect plugin architecture

Same as last time.
Needs to be done.

------------------------
FOR-666 clarify the sitemap matches etc. in FAQ about non-skinned html

Delay until 0.9-dev.

------------------------
FOR-726 use locationmap in all of the plugins

Same as last time.
This must be getting close. Investigate.

------------------------
FOR-765 forrest war gets NoSuchMethodError for some core transformer

Same as last time.
Ask again for people to try a WAR archive.

------------------------
FOR-776 rationalise the pluginTemplate and current plugins to have minimal configuration files,
etc.

Delayed to 0.9-dev

------------------------
FOR-901 Review the note on the home page about first forrest run and retrieving plugins from
network

Same as last time.
Should be simple to test this and then fix the home page documentation.

------------------------
FOR-906 locationmap documentation explain this-to-that.xsl naming convention and default lm
matches

Someone needs to do it.

------------------------
FOR-911 decide content of release

Need to investigate the linked mails and make a Proposal.

------------------------
FOR-922 update all docs that explain sitemap fragments

Reasonably simple documentation job. Find all docs that give sitemap examples
and ensure that they are current.

------------------------
FOR-936 Forrest "looses" the locale when switching pages

New issue.

------------------------
FOR-537 Plugin documentation sitemap references

Same as last time.
Need to explain using plugins in-place and change the refs to sitemap.xmap
into an example for a specific type of plugin, e.g. refer to the input.xmap
instead of sitemap.xmap file.

------------------------
FOR-671 Layering error of HTML headings breaks rest of the page w/o warning

Same as last time.
Document as FAQ.

------------------------
FOR-731 empty linkmap.html document, side-effect of workaround to FOR-675

Same as last time.
Investigate.

------------------------
FOR-767 Forrestbot webapp reports succesful even when there are broken links

There has been some Jira activity, but not yet resolved.

------------------------
FOR-861 Update locationmap docs for working with remote files

Same as last time.
Should be a simple documentation job. Ross provides the references.

FOR-635 images not reproduced in PDFs, if sources are in xdocs/images directory

Gavin did some investigation. It is complex.
Suggest delay until 0.9-dev

FOR-644 code-style cleanup for xml files

This should be able to be done just prior to release.
We had delayed this, but i reckon that it is worth trying.