forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Gav...." <brightoncomput...@brightontown.com.au>
Subject RE: Building Forrest 2
Date Wed, 22 Nov 2006 12:01:35 GMT
Like ships in the night our posts crossed ....

Well, the build failed and gave reason in the error message that <license>
Was not recognised, expecting one of (::ivyauthor ::repository ::decription}

I just reinstated that line, ant clean and compiled and run it again and
This time go no such error, ah well, that's computers for you.

> Note that this same element is in use for the Xerces descriptor
>
> > 2. Your example getting started code says :-
> >
> > ant -Dcontent.object.dir=[FORREST2_HOME]/src/examples/helloWorld
> > -Dcontent.object.start.uri=helloWorld.html run
> >
> > However this command has to be run from the [FORREST2_HOME]/core
> directory
> > and so just specifying ant -Dcontent.object.dir=src/examples/helloWorld
> > -Dcontent.object.start.uri=helloWorld.html run
> >
> > Worked for me, in other words removing '[FORREST2_HOME]/'
>
> Yes, but I left it in for clarity - you must provide the full path to
> your content object. In this case it works because the relative path is
> calculated correctly since it is a subdirectory. However, if you create
> your own content object somewhere else you need the full path.
>
> This could be explained but I am trying to keep getting started to the
> minimum number of words.

True, and just a misunederstanding on my part as explained in my other post.

> but...
>
> > So somewhere it is actually looking one directory above what is
> specified.
> >

> That's a confusion I brought in with the change in directory structure.
> [FORREST2_HOME] used to contain what is in core now it doesn't it
> continas sub directories for other Forrest2 modules.
>
> I've add the follwoing to Getting started:
>
> "Where [FORREST2_HOME] is the path to your Forrest2 core directory."
>
> > So after these changes, it compiles and works fine and get html and
> xhtml
> > file output in The command window, nothing else happens , so need to
> read
> > A bit more to see what else can be done with the code so far.
>
> It doesn't do a great deal right now. Whilst you are playing it would be
> grewat if you could create a content object to actually do something
> useful. This will illustrate the large number of things that don't work
> (like no image handling, no skinning etc.)
>
> If you are a Java person a really important improvement would be to
> enhance the CLI to output the generated content to disk. Should be easy
> to do without getting deep into the code. Once we have that we can start
> playing with site generation.

Ok, I can take a look, but I'm not expert.

> (but we must all remember finishing 0.8, I feel a bit of "shiny new
> thing" syndrome here)

True again and I hope I clarified my position in my other post.

Cheers

Gav...