forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <>
Subject Re: Dispatcher i18n update + three more issues
Date Tue, 26 Sep 2006 07:34:44 GMT
Sjur Moshagen wrote:
> Den 26. sep. 2006 kl. 02.14 skrev Gav....:
>>> In this case shouldn't the fallback be defined as a specific language,
>>> i.e. English. In which case the fallback should be
>>> "ContractsMessages_en.xml" shouldn't it (as opposed to
>>> "ContractMessages.xml").
>> Sounds like the best way, haven't tested Sjurs patches yet, but hopefully
>> Then that wont mean having ?locale=en in the url for the default.

Does this new i18n solution require a ?locale=xx in the URL in any
situations? If so then this is not a good solution. It will break the
static build of the site since "?" is not a valid character in
filenames, Cocoon therefore encodes this which in turn breaks links.

You need to make the language selection part of the url, i.e.

Sorry, I've not been following the i18n work or looked at these patches,
i'm just trying to pick up on this threa now.

> Actually, Ross' suggestion would require just that,

See above.

> although I am a
> little unsure of the impact of the fact that en_US is defined as the
> global default language. It could mean that for that special case you
> would get the _en version without writing ?locale=en.

The global language default should be set in a config file.

> That is, you can just delete it, and the strings will appear in English
> if there's no match. The only benefit of having it there is to serve as
> an example for new translations.

And to allow people to override the default settings for those strings,
even in English.

I'm -1 on deleting it for that reason and for the two reasons
(documentation and human readability) that Sjur provides.

View raw message