forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Dispatcher i18n update + three more issues
Date Tue, 26 Sep 2006 07:34:44 GMT
Sjur Moshagen wrote:
> Den 26. sep. 2006 kl. 02.14 skrev Gav....:
>
>>> In this case shouldn't the fallback be defined as a specific language,
>>> i.e. English. In which case the fallback should be
>>> "ContractsMessages_en.xml" shouldn't it (as opposed to
>>> "ContractMessages.xml").
>>
>> Sounds like the best way, haven't tested Sjurs patches yet, but hopefully
>> Then that wont mean having ?locale=en in the url for the default.

Does this new i18n solution require a ?locale=xx in the URL in any
situations? If so then this is not a good solution. It will break the
static build of the site since "?" is not a valid character in
filenames, Cocoon therefore encodes this which in turn breaks links.

You need to make the language selection part of the url, i.e.

http://foo.com/bar.en.html

or

http://foo.com/en/bar.xml

Sorry, I've not been following the i18n work or looked at these patches,
i'm just trying to pick up on this threa now.

> Actually, Ross' suggestion would require just that,

See above.

> although I am a
> little unsure of the impact of the fact that en_US is defined as the
> global default language. It could mean that for that special case you
> would get the _en version without writing ?locale=en.

The global language default should be set in a config file.

> That is, you can just delete it, and the strings will appear in English
> if there's no match. The only benefit of having it there is to serve as
> an example for new translations.

And to allow people to override the default settings for those strings,
even in English.

I'm -1 on deleting it for that reason and for the two reasons
(documentation and human readability) that Sjur provides.

Ross