forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <>
Subject applying patches
Date Wed, 27 Sep 2006 00:08:34 GMT
Gav.... wrote:
> > From: Ross Gardler

> > > Ok, so exactly the same file, no changes apart from the file name ?
> > >
> > > No sure how others do it, but I would just copy the file, give it the
> > > New name and then add it to our svn with 'svn add filename.xml' and then
> > > Commit it. So, again no patch needed.
> >
> > To copy a file in svn do "svn cp SRC_FILE DEST_FILE" this has the
> > advantage of keeping the SVN history for the file.
> Ok Sounds good. How do you go about applying patches locally then?
> Suppose I'm downloading Sjurs internal.xmap patch, normally I just
> Overwrite the current version with the patched version, is there a
> Better way?

Yes there is. It is better to ask the contributor to provide a
patch rather than just the full file. This ensures that it is
patched against the correct version of the file.

Otherwise you might clobber other recent changes to the file.

Then you apply the patch with
patch -p0 < ~/Desktop/internal.xmap.diff

If that is not possible then take the full file.

As with all patches or files you need to first convert the
file to the correct line-endings. Sjur has UNIX and you are
on Windows.

Then do the following ...

svn up
cp ~/Desktop/internal.xmap whiteboard/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.internal.dispatcher/internal.xmap
svn diff whiteboard/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.internal.dispatcher/internal.xmap
... make sure it is what you expect. Then test and commit.

View raw message