forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <>
Subject Re: Revision 440590 side effect
Date Fri, 08 Sep 2006 02:19:20 GMT
Cyriaque Dupoirieux wrote:
> It seems that this commit has two side effect :
> First - can be in conflict with the forrest.plugins.descriptors declaration
>    The copy decides that the plugins-1.xml should contain the released
> plugins description and the plugins-2.xml the whiteboard plugins.

Yep, see comments in

If there is network access, then i presume that all descriptors
would get replaced. So is there a problem?

> Second - No download will be made anymore
>    The copy changes the date of the plugins-1.xml and the plugins-2.xml
> files and the get command always returns :
>    Fetching plugins descriptor:
>    Getting:
>    To: <Dir>\build\tmp\plugins-2.xml
>    local file date : Thu Sep 07 11:20:44 CEST 2006
>    Not modified - so not downloaded

I assumed that if the published descriptor was newer
then it would get downloaded. Today those descriptors
at are older so not downloaded.

However i should have used the "preservelastmodified"
parameter for the ant Copy task. Done now.

It could still cause problems if the user has
installed a Forrest release after the plugins
descriptors were last published. Publishing our
descriptors more often would help.

Can someone think of a better solution? Perhaps a special
Ant target that "local-fetch-plugins-descriptors" and
an FAQ about offline operation. Perhaps that target can
read the list and map the f.a.o URLs to the local sources.

View raw message