forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: i18n/dispatcher: language selection contract
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2006 14:30:48 GMT
On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 15:26 +0300, Sjur Moshagen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to make my first dispatcher contract. It turned out to be
> more problematic than I first thought, problems below the pseudocode.
>
> Here's what I want to do: I want to create a language selection list
> for a multilingual site. The language selection list should be
> dynamically generated for each document, since it isn't known which
> document have more than one language, and which languages are
> available for each document. The pseudocode goes like this:
>
> 1- get the request
> 2- get a list of all documents that matches the request, disregarding
> i18n infixes in the
>     filenames (that is, a request for X.html should match all of:
>     X.YY.xml
>     X.ZZ.xml
>     X.xml
>     where YY, ZZ and <nothing> corresponds to available locales or
> the fallback file
> 3- examine the X.xml (fallback file) for an @xml:lang or @lang to
> determine the
>     language of the document; if not found, use the site default (if
> available)
> 4- based on 2 and 3, create a list of all languages available
> 5- examine the document actually being returned by the request for
> @xml:lang or @lang,
>     to be able to detect the currently viewed language (it could be
> different from
>     the fallback document, since other i18n components can have
> picked a better
>     choice based on browser settings)
> 6- return a list of available language variants, tagging the
> presently displayed
>     language, and with each of the other languages as a link to that
> document (using,
>     e.g. ?locale=YY or some other means to override browser settings)
>
> The list should be formatted with CSS to whatever is wanted. My
> present goal is to have a simple horisontal list across the page,
> between the menu on the left and the PDF icon on the right, just
> above the document title.
>
> Problem #1:
>
> I can't get the contract to do anything!
>
> I have in my {$project}/resources/themes/pelt.fv the following snippet:
>
>            <forrest:hook class="languages">TEST
>              <forrest:contract name="language-variants" />
>            </forrest:hook>
>
> but it only returns an empty

Meaning the hook get transformed the contract not. BTW the TEST is not
allowed in this position.

> for the hook. The first version of the contract, located in
> {$project}/resources/themes/common/html/language-variants.ft,
> contains the following:

Please try requesting:
http://localhost:8888/resolve.contract.html.language-variants or AFAIR
for your case
http://localhost:8889/resolve.contract.html.language-variants Does the
contract show up?

If not, does {lm:themer.project.dir} point to the dir? What does
http://localhost:8888/ls.contracts.project.html return? Is the contract
listed?

> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <forrest:contract
>    xmlns:i18n="http://apache.org/cocoon/i18n/2.1"
>    xmlns:forrest="http://apache.org/forrest/templates/1.0"
>    name="language-variants">
>
>    <description>
>      <strong>language-variants</strong> will output a list of
> available language for a given
>      input document. The presently displayed language will be marked.
> Styling
>      is done using CSS.
>    </description>
>    <usage><![CDATA[<forrest:contract name="language-variants"
>    dataURI="cocoon://#{$getRequest}.languages.xml"/>]]></usage>
>    <forrest:template xmlns:forrest="http://apache.org/forrest/
> templates/1.0"
>      name="language-variants" inputFormat="xsl">
>      <xsl:stylesheet version="1.1"
>        xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform">
>        <xsl:template match="/">
>        debug string -
>          <forrest:content>
>            <forrest:part>
>              <xsl:comment>+ |start language list +</xsl:comment>
>                SME
>              <xsl:comment>+ |end language list +</xsl:comment>
>            </forrest:part>
>          </forrest:content>
>        </xsl:template>
>      </xsl:stylesheet>
>    </forrest:template>
> </forrest:contract>
>
> I would hve expected it to output "SME", but nothing shows up.

The contract looks alright. The only thing that you define in the usage
<forrest:contract name="language-variants"
dataURI="cocoon://#{$getRequest}.languages.xml"/> and in your structurer
<forrest:contract name="language-variants" />. That should not matter
ATM for the testing but later on you may want to change this in the
structurer.

> I have tried to read and follow the instructions at:
>
> http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_80/howto/howto-structurer-
> contracts.html
>
> and related pages linked to at the bottom.
>
> Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Please report back when you tested the above links and tell us what the
outcome is.

salu2

--
thorsten