forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] A new Forrest implementation?
Date Tue, 22 Aug 2006 07:39:50 GMT

> ...The Problem
> ===========
>
> Forrest is built on Cocoon, a web application framework, but "all" it
> does is XML publishing...

As a lurker from Cocoonland, I'd like to add my 2 cents to this
discussion. I'm just back from holidays and catching up with my mail,
haven't fully read this thread yet but here's the first thing that
comes to mind:

I feel that a big percentage of Cocoon users are using it "only" for
sitemap-based XML processing. All these people have basically the same
problem than you describe here: too much bloat (perceived maybe, but
the jars are here indeed) that you don't use, and relatively poor
embeddability.

So, a "Cocoon light" version that does just the following might be
fairly popular among this category of users:

-Sitemap-based XML processing pipelines
-XSLT transformers
-Pluggable custom Java transformers
-Aggregation using the cocoon:/ protocol

Cocoon 2.2 moves in the direction of being more modular, and many
parts of it have been split in smaller independent packages already,
but (IMHO) the people actively working on it are more oriented towards
big webapps than the above "Cocoon light" stuff.

So, unless you're already too advanced in your own explorations
already, it might be interesting to poll the dev@cocoon list to see
what people think, and maybe gather interest from Cocoon committers
for creating a lightweight version out of the current 2.2 codebase.

-Bertrand