forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: level of detail for docs (Was: svn commit: r437136)
Date Tue, 29 Aug 2006 09:47:56 GMT
Gav.... wrote:

> Pointers are a great help, the balance between too much
>
>>detail and not enough is a hard one but I would err on the side of
>>caution,
>

> Meaning err on the side of not enough in case too much gets it wrong ?

Not so much "gets it wrong" as "fails to provide complete details". If
we make it look like we are trying to provide documentation then people
will ask us to clarify and expand that documentation. This is fine for
documents about our own code, but we don't want to waste effort
documenting someone elses projects here.

As David hinted, we would be better providing patches to the SVN
documentation effort than duplicating things here. It doesn't really
take that much more effort, do they have a FAQ, your entry here would be
ideal for such a document. All that needs to be done is to drop it into
their issue tracker and let them deal with it as they see fit.

Ross