forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] A new Forrest implementation?
Date Tue, 22 Aug 2006 23:16:38 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

>> ...The Problem
>> ===========
>>
>> Forrest is built on Cocoon, a web application framework, but "all" it
>> does is XML publishing...
>

> As a lurker from Cocoonland, I'd like to add my 2 cents to this
> discussion. I'm just back from holidays and catching up with my mail,
> haven't fully read this thread yet but here's the first thing that
> comes to mind:
>
> I feel that a big percentage of Cocoon users are using it "only" for
> sitemap-based XML processing. All these people have basically the same
> problem than you describe here: too much bloat (perceived maybe, but
> the jars are here indeed) that you don't use, and relatively poor
> embeddability.
>
> So, a "Cocoon light" version that does just the following might be
> fairly popular among this category of users:
>
> -Sitemap-based XML processing pipelines
> -XSLT transformers
> -Pluggable custom Java transformers
> -Aggregation using the cocoon:/ protocol
>
> Cocoon 2.2 moves in the direction of being more modular, and many
> parts of it have been split in smaller independent packages already,
> but (IMHO) the people actively working on it are more oriented towards
> big webapps than the above "Cocoon light" stuff.
>
> So, unless you're already too advanced in your own explorations
> already, it might be interesting to poll the dev@cocoon list to see
> what people think, and maybe gather interest from Cocoon committers
> for creating a lightweight version out of the current 2.2 codebase.

As of today my needs, as expressed int his RT have become much more
concrete. I now have to move on an implementation of this "Forrest
Lite", and immediately (not sure we will be able to call it Cocoon Lite
though).

This has nothing to do with Forrest or Cocoon being adequate/inadequate
and everything to do with the demands of a new project. Unfortunately, I
don't have the luxury of time to discuss to much with respect to this
implementation. Therefore, I think the best thing for me to do is to
build this system as a fairly advanced prototype and bring that back
here (or on dev@cocoon) for discussion.

Since this is a short term commercial project the implementation will, I
am sure, have lots of holes in it and many corners will be cut to meet
commercial deadlines. Therefore, it will hopefully be ideal for kick
starting Open Source work if there is percieved value in it.

Ross