forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] A new Forrest implementation?
Date Fri, 18 Aug 2006 10:05:52 GMT
Jeff Turner wrote:
> You might want to poke around in the Doxia code, to see what a
> non-Cocoon-based, pluggable input/output module doc system might look
> like:
>
> http://maven.apache.org/doxia/index.html

Thanks I'll look into this more after the weekend.

> My 2c is that any doc system built around hand-editing XML is going to be
> a niche player. Cocoon is what makes Forrest a really cool niche player,
> but ultimately the future is with CMSs. I guess that's what the
> Outerthought people concluded too.

I totally agree. One of the problems of the current Forrest is that it
is not easily embeddable in other applications, like CMS, OpenOffice etc.

I do agree that Cocoon makes Forrest a cool niche player, and removing
Cocoon will remove that niche advantage. That's why I really like Davids
suggestion of making Forrest the controller and allowing it to use
Cocoon as a generic Input/Ouput plugin. This would not add a huge amount
of code to our existin code base, and we could (theoretically) have a
new version of Forrest, capable of doing everthing the current version
does, in just a few hours.

This way we get the best of both worlds. Embedability in other tools,
like CMS systems, and a Cocoon powered niche player for those who want it.

Ross