forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <>
Subject Re: [RT] A new Forrest implementation?
Date Thu, 17 Aug 2006 10:57:49 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>> This is a Random Thought. The ideas contained within are not fully
>> developed and are bound to have lots of holes. The idea is to promote
>> healthy discussion, so please, everyone, dive in and discuss.
> I don't know where to begin to answer this. One way
> is with more random thoughts. In such RT threads we
> have the freedom to throw wacky ideas into the mix.
> Intertwine that with our own use-cases, etc. and as long
> as we all help to calmly discuss, then a strong combined
> solution should emerge.
> I do agree that we could build a better framework.
> Perhaps we currently try to use Cocoon for too much.
> Perhaps Cocoon should not be the controller, i.e. Forrest
> should control the whole process and decide which input
> plugins and which output plugin to use. Perhaps Forrest
> should provide some ways to generate the internal format
> from the various sources. Perhaps Cocoon could be an
> optional way to handle those stages, e.g. if i prefer
> Cocoon then it should be simple for me to add it and use
> its sitemap and generators and transformers to do the
> input processing in my input plugins.
I can't tell whether it would be better to use Cocoon within Forrest or
not as I don't know that much of current Forrest.

But as some of you might be aware, Cocoon is trying to change with the
newer versions in many aspects. We moved away from Avalon to spring (you
can now use simple pojos as components) and we are trying to come up
with smaller reusable parts of the core, like just a pipelining api, a
sitemap processor and so on (which would be separate jars)
In addition, we have come up with new ways to invoke Cocoon, so you
could for example write a controller servlet for Forrest which then
internally invokes Cocoon (and a pipeline within Cocoon). We are also
discussing to simplify interfaces and the like. So in the end I guess we
are at least aware of some of the problems Forrest is facing. We only
lack some resources...

So, one possibility for you could be to discuss some things within
Cocoon and perhaps we can fix these issues together. But again, I don't
know what might be best for you.