forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] A new Forrest implementation?
Date Wed, 16 Aug 2006 09:47:11 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:

> What do we gain?
> ================
>
> By getting rid of Cocoon Forrest becomes much more lightweight, has
> considerably less dependencies (I estimate it would be just a couple of
> megabytes, for the core, if that). As a result it becomes more embeddable.

One of the things a couple of people have mentioned is tighter
integration with PHP (in my mind this should be extended to mean other
languages as well).

Now I know very little of PHP, other than to be able to work with
existing projects. Can someone tell me if it is possible to call Java
applications natively within PHP?

If the answer to this is yes, then my ideas would mean that Forrest
could be embedded as a component in a PHP application. If the answer is
no then we would pretty much be in the same position we are today with
respect to PHP integration.

However, where we gain in interoperability is with any Java/Javascript
based system. Since the core controller would just be a java class and
that could be embedded in any such app.

Ross