forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <>
Subject Re: [RT] A new Forrest implementation?
Date Wed, 16 Aug 2006 09:43:07 GMT
C. Grobmeier wrote:
>>Then we scale down development on the 1.0 branch going into maintenance
>>only. Therefore this new development would be a new 2.0 trunk (yes, new
>>trunk as in we have none of the existing code in there by default).
> Why not make up a forrest-sandbox module and write a prototype first?
> You could see if there are any contributions or how the feedback is. At
> the other hand, development can start right now.

I'm already working on a prototype. However, I don't want to put it in
SVN until I understand the views of the community as a whole. This is a
huge leap and as such may be a very bad move for the project.

I think a softly softly approach is needed. For now it is important that
we keep the "Random Thoughts" aspect of this thread, there may be other
solutions and I don't want to risk making so much noise nobody hears them.

If the outcome of this thread is "lets explore a complete rewrite
further" then I will put the code in the whiteboard so that we have
something to base a proposal on.

> Thanks for discussing this,

More importantly, thanks for letting us have your opinion. As others
have said, it is important that "lurkers" as well as "the usual
culprits" make their voice heard in this thread.

View raw message