forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r430032 - in /forrest/trunk: plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.projectInfo/ plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.projectInfo/resources/stylesheets/ site-author/
Date Wed, 09 Aug 2006 13:26:05 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> El mié, 09-08-2006 a las 14:40 +0200, Cyriaque Dupoirieux escribió:
>
>>le 09/08/2006 14:29 Ross Gardler a écrit :

>>>-1
>>>
>>>We need to make a release of the plugin hat is compatible with 0.8
>>>before doing this. The new properties system is not officially
>>>included in the 0.8 release of Forrest.
>>>
>>>Having said that, recently the new config system has been seeing more
>>>people using it and it seems t work well, within certain limitations.
>>>Perhaps we should consider including the forrest.properties.xml in the
>>>0.8 release. If this were to happen I could lift my -1 on this commit.
>>>
>>>If this were not to happen then this commit must increase the required
>>>Forrest version number within the plugin or in the plugin descriptor
>>>file (but only after a 0.8 compatible release was made).
>>
>>Just a moment, I have not created the forrest.properties.xml, it was
>>already there.
>>
>>Cyriaque,
>

> Yeah, that is right Cyriaque.

As mentioned in an overlapping mail. The only use of the plugins that I
had noticed going through SVN were for experimental features. However,
see below...

> Further there are other plugins using the property system (incl. the
> projectInfo before this commit).

Only in whiteboard where stability of API is not required.

> Ross can you explain why this commit is different to the one that added
> properties to default.forrest.properties.xml?

Did previous changes move stable functionality over to using an unstable
properties implementation? If so then I missed the significance of those
changes.

Furthermore, I missed the significance of the addition of new features
that used undocumented/unreleased and untested features of core.

Of course, there is no problem with doing this as long as we have a
release of the plugin at the point at which it was only using stable
features.

We now have a situation where a plugin that claims to be compatible with
0.8 is using features that will not be a part of the 0.8 release. See my
original objects as to why this is a problem, together with my further

Sorry I didn't pick up on this earlier, it only dawned on me when
Cyriaque did the right thing and asked if the community felt his changes
were OK.

Ross