forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] A new Forrest implementation?
Date Tue, 22 Aug 2006 07:49:38 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> >Ross Gardler escribi??:
> >
> >>The Drawbacks
> >>=============
> >>
> >>What are the drawbacks of getting rid of Cocoon?
> >>
> >>Probably the biggest drawback would be that we have to code it. There's
> >>not a huge amount of work to be done, but there are some neat things in
> >>Cocoon that we would have to reimplement or find elsewhere. We may be
> >>able to extract some of the code from Cocoon, but I'm not convinced this
> >>is a good approach.
> >>
> >>Because of this need to write the code it will mean that Forrest would
> >>initially take a step backwards in terms of its functionality.
> >
> >The other thing is that the existing community is right now pretty much
> >cocoon orientate. Dropping cocoon in 2.x can have the side effect that
> >the current community *may* loose interest in forrest (cocoon have been
> >a big selling point in the past).
> >
> >The critical question is, how many people (as devs) can we attract to
> >join the rewrite dropping cocoon, taking a step back in functionality,
> >focusing on java for new components?
> >
> >How many committer and devs will work on branch, how many on trunk, how
> >many on both?
> >
> >I hope to see a healthy discussion, which will give some leads regarding
> >above questions.
>
> This is very important, thanks for highlighting it.
>
> I'd like to ask how many developers here do anything other than write
> XML and XSLT in Forrest?

(We need to hear responses from all Forrest developers
on these questions.)

Me. I use the sitemap extensively. I don't call that
simply "writing XML". I don't need to create new
Cocoon Generators or Transformers because the default set
from Cocoon provides more than i need.

> How many actually use Forrest in an environemnt where it is doing
> anything more than building a website?

It depends what do you mean by "website"? I use web
technologies on my internal network and i have some
complex public websites.

For example, i have a Forrest server running on my
desktop which scrapes remote web pages to extract recent
stock market announcements and show me only the stocks
that i am interested in.

I have one public website that i can show you that
is more that "just a website". It processes data
and generates reports. See "Z-alarm" on our
"Example sites" page.

> I'd suggest that the thing to do is ensure that we support the building
> of simple websites quickly in order to quickly support what I suspect is
> the vast majority of our users.

Why would such people be using Forrest? If they only
want simple websites, then there are plenty of other
tools out there.

-David