forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Site-author organization
Date Mon, 21 Aug 2006 04:42:04 GMT
Gav.... wrote:
> > From: David Crossley
> >
> > Here is one approach to clarify this section of the documentation.
> >
> > http://people.apache.org/~crossley/helper-tab.png
> >
> > I renamed the tab to be "Helper" ... that works both ways:
> > how to get help, how to help.
> >
> > I merged everything in the "Resources and Infrastructure" section
> > up to the top-level. There is a now a new Introduction page
> > (not yet finished) which will explain how to find and give help
> > rather than focussing on "contributing". The "Contrib" page
> > is now a link on the navigation menu.
> >
> > What do people think?
>
> Hmm, I'm not buying it at this stage, don't know why but am not liking the
> word 'helper' . Maybe it'll grow on me.

Try finding a better one. It took my wife and i
much of a driving trip to Sydney to arrive at that
one. We thought that it covered all possible uses
for this set of documents. Anyway if you can come
up with something else then please do.

> Apart from that, I still don't agree with the layout. I did make some
> suggestions earlier in this thread but they haven't been commented on.

Your second comment in that thread had already been answered
in the previous discussion. Your first comment i didn't know
how to answer. It seemed similar to previous suggestions.

> In light of your new design, I'll revise mine and comment on yours.
>
> I do like the idea of a new intro and moving the committer page.
>
> However, I think that we can still split up these topics further.

Why?

> Looking through the list of links there is very obviously areas of interest
> there that are for Developers only. So, I would not want to get rid of the
> developers tab.

I reckon that all links are for developers.

Sure there are users which will need to find the
mailing lists and perhaps the Issue Tracker. I thought
that the "Helper" name would attract users to this tab
and they would see that the first two items are what
they are looking for. While there, they might be enticed
to become developers.

> >From your 'Helper' tab then how about removing the following and putting
> them back into their own 'Developer' Tab.

I don't yet see how splitting it to two tabs
will assist.

> Contributing - Content needs splitting up, the top two paras relate to
> encouraging new users, the rest of it is surely 'dev only' material and
> could be moved to the developer tab in its own page.

I disagree. The whole thing is targetted at developers.
Users don't contribute. As soon as they do, they become
developers.

> ForrestFriday IRC - already stated as being a Dev only exercise (atm) so
> again could be moved to the 'developer' tab.
>
> Version Control - Sounds like dev only to me (where is that anyway?)

It would be a new page to explain everything about the
source control system. Where to get forrest via SVN,
how to do a checkout, which URLs, how to browse the ASF
SVN server for direct access:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest/
and how to browse it via ViewVC web interface:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/forrest/trunk

> Subversion - dev only
>
> Committer Notes - dev only.
>
> Browse SVN and Zone Testbed - where are these on your list, anyway dev tab.

"Zone testbed" is renamed to "Demonstrations".
For "Browse SVN" see the abovementioned "Version Control".

You say "dev only" for lots of the info. What other
group of people would want access to this stuff?

> All the rest remain on your 'Helper' tab - though will try to think of
> another name, if we can't then I'll get used to it.
>
> So summarising the above, I'm suggesting splitting the tab into two tabs,
> thinking of the future where we will put lots more examples and stuff in, it
> could be an idea to get an extra tab in there now.

The only bit that i see expanding is the "Best Practices".
I expect these to target developers and each doc have an
extra section for notes specific to committers for that topic.

Anyway, if you can come up with another design ...

-David