forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] A new Forrest implementation?
Date Wed, 16 Aug 2006 02:41:27 GMT
Gav.... wrote:

> The other side effect of being a dev - and could also apply to user too
> maybe to a certain extent, joining the 'Forrest' Dev list was the first
> Step - in reality to even begin to get beneath the engine of this baby,
> involves joining more mailing lists of other communities in order to
> understand, extend, and manage all aspects of Forrest. Being on the one
> List simply is not good enough these days if one is to familarise yourself
> with all aspects of Forrest.
> As a result of joining Forrest, I am also on the dev lists at 'Abdera' ,
> 'Cocoon' , 'Lenya' , 'Gump' , 'Chaperon' , 'Daisy' , 'XSL (mulburytech)' ,
> 'Heraldry' , 'Jira' , 'Subversion' , 'Maven'.
>
> Ok, so 3 or 4 of those are not needed, but do give a better overall
> understanding of the whole picture - and these all were '..as a result of
> ..'
>
> And I don't mind, I'm not complaining, it is encouraged to x-commune and get
> and give help, the point is I think that so many lists is living proof that
> Forrest is indeed a complex beast - at least in terms of what functionality
> is provided at the end of it.

This is not true. Forrest developers do not need to
join other mailing lists to do advanced Forrest.

Take me for example. Out of your list of 11 above,
i only subscribe to one: dev at cocoon, and even that
is not necessary to understand Forrest. Following their
documentation, then asking questions in context at the
Forrest lists is sufficient.

(I do do gump, but that is not because of Forrest.)

You will burn yourself out by joining so many.

Why do you want to "manage all aspects"?

-David