forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Site-author organization
Date Wed, 09 Aug 2006 02:03:58 GMT
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:

> Sorry for being so quiet for long time. Had and still have some
> pressing personal issues to attend to. But I'm still reading and I'll
> try to explain what I had in mind when I started this restructuring:

Thanks for taking the time to help.

> The "Welcome"-Tab
>
> Aims at giving a quick introduction to the Forrest-project the
> software and its goals and capabilities.
>
> Provides intro on an executive summary level plus examples to quickly
> get the idea what can be done with Forrest.
>
> The "Developers"-Tab:
>
> This used to be the Project tab and that pretty well summarized the
> content I found under it: All materials that are needed to participate in
> Forrest as a project. Specifically
>
> - in which ways I can participate
> - where to find the tools and infrastructure needed to participate
> - and how to go about certain tasks
>
> I subdivided these tasks in a way that tries to minimize access
> time to information while categorizing it logically by the kind of
> info that can be found in it.
>
> The idea being that I didn't have to dig through all documentation to
> find all "best practice" documents or references to resources.
>
> - Getting involved explains the different ways of participating in the
>   project and yes - Tim is right - this could  be the tab-heading
>   really if we don't go back to "Project" (see comments below).
>
>   Creating a separate sub-section "Project" came out of renaming the
>   tab from "Project" to "developers". It did not make a lot
>   of sense to me at the time but since I was busy with other things

In the previous thread, Ross and i had strong opinions
about not making a distinction between "us and them".
We are all "developers". Some of us (mainly the committers)
make extra effort to do the tasks that keep the project
flowing. I have not yet heard any justification for making
a distinction. In fact i think that it would be dangerous
for the project health.

See the last section of:
 Re: Document restructuring - confused
 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.forrest.devel/21380/focus=21380
and the subsequent messages.

The "Developers" tab includes a few documents under
the sub-section "Project". I reckon that these should
be moved up to the "Getting involved" section.

> - Resources and Infrastructure lists the tools and infrastructure
>   available for people working for the project.

I think that it is way more that just that little group.
Developers want to participate in the mailing lists, and
want to search and add to the Issue Tracker, etc.

>   ...This could be a
>   subheading to "Getting involved" but since it is needed quite often
>   I left it at the top level to make it easier to find.

Perhaps we should merge these few resources into the
top-level section and rename it from "Getting involved"
to "Resources and Infrastructure" (or a better name).

-David