forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ferdinand Soethe <ferdin...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Site-author organization
Date Fri, 11 Aug 2006 08:24:16 GMT

David Crossley wrote:

> In the previous thread, Ross and i had strong opinions
> about not making a distinction between "us and them".
> We are all "developers". Some of us (mainly the committers)
> make extra effort to do the tasks that keep the project
> flowing. I have not yet heard any justification for making
> a distinction. In fact i think that it would be dangerous
> for the project health.

I had and have no objection to your intention of not making a
distinction between 'us and them'. And yet I still find the term
developers misleading as many people would not consider themselves
'developers' if they contributed documentation. Just because we think
of all of them as 'developers' will not change that.

'Participation' seems like an excellent alternative, sorry I missed
that post at the time.

Apart from that:

For users or developers looking for info to solve a problem I would
take a different approach:

Rather than creating a tab-name that will make people look for the
mailings lists in the project tab, I would prefer to create additional
references to these resources in the versioned docs.

This way people can smoothly cross over from Forrest documentation to
the extended documentation in the mailing list. A collection of
pointers to important topics in the mailing list might help guide
people this way or encourage writers to turn a topic into a piece of
documentation.

> The "Developers" tab includes a few documents under
> the sub-section "Project". I reckon that these should
> be moved up to the "Getting involved" section.

Well yes. Although the project guidelines are slightly more than
that (mission statement) and really talk about the project as a
whole.

In any case I'd suggest to place that at the top of the participation
tab.

In the longer term: I'd like to split this document into a
mission statement that goes on the first tab and project by-laws that
remain in the participation section. Wdyt?

>> - Resources and Infrastructure lists the tools and infrastructure
>>   available for people working for the project.

> I think that it is way more that just that little group.
> Developers want to participate in the mailing lists, and
> want to search and add to the Issue Tracker, etc.

OK, so why not add references to these resources to the tab that
caters specifically to these people (Versioned Docs). Perhaps
rename the tab 'Documentation' to make it more obvious.

>>   ...This could be a
>>   subheading to "Getting involved" but since it is needed quite often
>>   I left it at the top level to make it easier to find.

> Perhaps we should merge these few resources into the
> top-level section and rename it from "Getting involved"
> to "Resources and Infrastructure" (or a better name).

I'd really like to keep the clear distinction between the 'how can I
participate' and the 'what tools can I use' parts of this tab.

--
Ferdinand Soethe