forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Gav...." <brightoncomput...@brightontown.com.au>
Subject RE: level of detail for docs (Was: svn commit: r437136)
Date Tue, 29 Aug 2006 09:07:04 GMT

Ok, that's good, that is what I meant should I alter it to in my reply just
before I got to read This.

> It's all very well saying (to paraphrase) "Forrest devs should know how
> to do it", but we have to learn somewhere. When this came up the first
> time I asked on this list because I couldn't find it in the SVN Book.
> Nobody here knew how to do it. Eventually a solution was found (because
> it was asked shorlty afterwards on the Cocoon dev list too).
>
> I'm guessing Gav figured that, as a new developer who had to discover
> how to do this he would help tose coming later by documenting it in a
> simpler way.

Exactly that, if there are those that wander across my minitutorials.com
Site, expecially the Apache web server installation tutorials, you would
Notice my style of writing on there at least is aimed at beginners and
Very detailed and very pandering I suppose in my style. I've been doing
It so long I must remember that we don't have that same audience here and
To maybe stop being so detailed perhaps.

Pointers are a great help, the balance between too much
> detail and not enough is a hard one but I would err on the side of
> caution,

Meaning err on the side of not enough in case too much gets it wrong ?

just a syntax reference with a couple of basic examples and a
> link to the SVN book should do (i.e. lets not try and explain it, there
> are always exceptions).

Ok, the link is already there, I'll simplify and shorten the current
examples then, thanks for the comments.

Gav...