forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Managing plugin releases
Date Wed, 26 Jul 2006 13:46:42 GMT
Gav.... wrote:

> [...]

Separated how? To what end?

> Would there be a 'entire collection' packaged zip containing every released
> plugin?

Having a singe collection is not possible if each plugin has an
independent release cycle.

>>o) Improved versioning - externally identifiable.  So that users might
>>be able to uninstall v0.3 of a plugin and reinstall 0.2 of a plugin.
>>I'm talking about manually not automagically.
>

> I agree, would the externally identifiable mean a naming convention to
> include the version number and compatible forrest version number?

The Forrest version information is already in the plugins.xml file. It
could be placed into the plugin name too, but why does it need to be
duplicated in this way?

Won't it get confusing? e.g. "pluginName-0.7-0.8" - which is the Forrest
version

If not confusing then won't it be too verbose? e.g.
"pluginName-ForrestVersion-0.7-pluginVersion-0.8"

I'm not saying it can't be done, I just don't see the need for the
Forrest version in the filename. The plugin version is allready in the
filename, the Forrest version is in the URL [1].

Ross

[1] http://forrest.apache.org/plugins/0.7/