forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Managing plugin releases
Date Wed, 26 Jul 2006 13:37:46 GMT
Tim Williams wrote:

>> Tim Williams (JIRA) wrote:
>> > Discussed here to:
>> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=115257903800001&r=1&w=4
>> >
>> > I still agree with what I proposed in that mail.  I actually like
>> Ross' suggestion too but only if we move towards better
>> packaging/managing/releasing of plugins.
>>
>> What do you think is needed?
>

> o) Independent/PMC managed releases

I think that all the code infrastructure for this is in place, all that
is required is a release process and a user document describing it.

> o) Improved versioning - externally identifiable.

What do you mean "externally identifiable", is it not sufficient i the
current form i.e. "pluginName-0.1", "pluginName-0.2"

> So that users might
> be able to uninstall v0.3 of a plugin and reinstall 0.2 of a plugin.

Version 0.3 and 0.2 can exist side by side in a single Forrest
installation, users just need to specify which version they want and
that's it.

There is currently no way of uninstalling an existing plugin. This might
be a good idea to save disk space but there is no other reason that I
can think of where this would be necessary.

If we want an uninstall then its just an ant task that is required.

> I'm talking about manually not automagically.

Why manually?

Even if there is a good use case it can already be done manually using
the existing ant targets. It's not documented that way as I've never
considered a user needing to do this.

> o) Combined with the above, improved manually downloading of plugins.

OK the plugins index page needs download links to the actual files
rather than the download directory and it should have instructions on
where to save the files.

We should also consider distributing the plugins via the mirrors, but
whilst they are all only a few Kb this is not a major issue.

What else needs to be improved?

However, why would anyone need to download them manually? Cyriaque has
solved the proxy problems as far as I can tell, what else would force
manual download?

Ross