forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: plugins with some excluded licenses
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2006 11:43:39 GMT
Cliff Schmidt wrote:
> On Jul 10, 2006, at 4:34 PM, Cliff Schmidt wrote:
>
>> I give you the long answer for two reasons: a) to give you an
>> understanding for the ideas behind all those rules, and b)  to make
>> sure I'm not misleading anyone into thinking that distributing an
>> LGPL library within an Apache product would cause us to all go to  FSF
>> jail (or worse, JBoss jail!).  The reason we don't distribute  LGPL
>> jars in our products is because our users have come to  associate the
>> Apache brand with (among other things) commercially- friendly
>> software, and the LGPL places restrictions on how they can  license
>> software that links to the library, which most would  consider not as
>> friendly as they would like.
>

> Actually, there was another reason I gave the long answer: I'm always
> looking for feedback from people on this policy.  When it's simply a
> matter of the legality of a particular action, I can usually make  that
> decision easily enough on my own (and with the help of our  generous pro
> bono lawyers); but when it's an issue of figuring out  the right policy
> for Apache, I really want as much feedback as possible.
>
> I hate to think that this policy would risk dividing a development
> community unless absolutely necessary.  So, if any of you have  thoughts
> on the utility/importance of drawing lines to ensure that  the Apache
> brand has some well-defined licensing definition (such as  I've tried to
> do with this policy to create something that is  "commercially
> friendly"), please let me know.  I'm don't want to  hijack the
> short-term issue, but I want everyone to know the big  picture and that
> I'm always open to hearing potentially better ideas.

Since it is I who has the "problem" with the LGPL libraries I ought to
state my opinion.

I fully understand the intent of this policy.

I fully support the intent of this policy.

I do not believe that our proposed solution will divide the community
since we will only be providing the binary download from a third party
distribution site.

Cliff, thanks for all your efforts in formulating a clear policy for us
to follow. It makes life much easier.

Ross