forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: content of release [was: Re: review list of scheduled issues for 0.8 release]
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2006 01:07:00 GMT
Tim Williams wrote:
>> It adds more fat to our release download. I suppose
>> that is why it was added to the roadmap.
>

> I don't remember if this was ever addressed or not but I recall one of
> the "issues" with forrest that came up with some of our users was the
> "largeness" of the download.  To ease some of that, what are thoughts
> on removing (from the release):
>
> - /etc (100K)
> - /main/java (140K)
> - /site-author  (2.89M)
> - /tools/forrestbot (865K)
> - /tools/eclipse (431K)
> - /tools/logos (2M) (don't know what these do, so just a guess here)
>
> Some are to get rid of some release weight and others are to avoid
> some confusion (e.g. why are you shipping .java files with a release).
>
> Thoughts?

I did a similar analysis before the 0.6 release and before the 0.7
release. We've ever had consensus to remove other stuff, I'm really not
sure why.

I would like to see the binary distribution only include Forrest core
and the necessary tools. No plugins, no whiteboard, no forestbot, no
eclipse etc.

Plugins are auto downloaded on the first run anyway (we should provide a
separate plugins package though).

The src release should still include eveything.

Ross