forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Managing plugin releases
Date Thu, 27 Jul 2006 07:19:44 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Tim Williams wrote:
> >Ross Gardler wrote:

> >>Ross' suggestion too but only if we move towards better
> >>packaging/managing/releasing of plugins.
> >>
> >>What do you think is needed?
> >
> >o) Independent/PMC managed releases
>
> I think that all the code infrastructure for this is in place, all that
> is required is a release process and a user document describing it.

The PMC needs to vote on each release. Part of the
new release process documentation i suppose.

> >o) Improved versioning - externally identifiable.
>
> What do you mean "externally identifiable", is it not sufficient i the
> current form i.e. "pluginName-0.1", "pluginName-0.2"
>
> >So that users might
> >be able to uninstall v0.3 of a plugin and reinstall 0.2 of a plugin.
>
> Version 0.3 and 0.2 can exist side by side in a single Forrest
> installation, users just need to specify which version they want and
> that's it.
>
> There is currently no way of uninstalling an existing plugin. This might
> be a good idea to save disk space but there is no other reason that I
> can think of where this would be necessary.
>
> If we want an uninstall then its just an ant task that is required.
>
> >I'm talking about manually not automagically.
>
> Why manually?
>
> Even if there is a good use case it can already be done manually using
> the existing ant targets. It's not documented that way as I've never
> considered a user needing to do this.
>
> >o) Combined with the above, improved manually downloading of plugins.
>
> OK the plugins index page needs download links to the actual files
> rather than the download directory and it should have instructions on
> where to save the files.
>
> We should also consider distributing the plugins via the mirrors, but
> whilst they are all only a few Kb this is not a major issue.

Yes we need to do that. Perhaps after the upcoming 0.8 release.
Needs md5 and signatures too.

Most of them are between 30 and 50 Kb. The outstanding ones
are Dispatcher (156 Kb) and Gallery (2.7 Mb).

-David