forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JIRA Attachments/Licensing
Date Fri, 21 Jul 2006 05:09:24 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Tim Williams wrote:
> >Nigel's recent decision (or more his rationale)  to not assign ASF
> >license with his attachment made me take a look at our JIRA.  I'd like
> >to highlight what i think are issues with the screen.  Just in case
> >folks agree, I looked and don't see an easy way to change it just for
> >out project but anyway:
> >
> >1) The screen makes the choice appear as if it's questioning whether
> >one wants the code "included" vs. "not included" in the software.
> >And, while that's obviously the net effect, it's not the "real"
> >question.
> >
> >2)  When folks click the "Grant license" button, I'm not convinced
> >everyone really knows what it means and how important it is to us.
> >More importantly, whether they have the right to "grant" it anyway.
> >
> >For #1, I'm not sure what the best way to word it is.  I htink the
> >first option "Grant license" is probably worded properly but the
> >second one is, IMO, confusing.
> >
> >For #2, I suggest we add a small well-crafted "What's this mean?"
> >section immediately below it to briefly explain what they are doing
> >when they click the "Grant" option.  Perhaps with some hints as to
> >times where they may not be able to grant it (e.g. it was paid work,
> >don't solely own it, not wholly original, etc.)
> >
> >Thoughts?
>
> I agree. Perhaps a suggestion to the infra@a.o team would be in order
> (they control that part of Jira).

Good points Tim. I reckon that you are onto something here.
Perhaps this is an impediment to new contributors.

I am not sure where would be the best place to discuss this.
Perhaps the legal-discuss@ list. When the document is ready
to link to, then infrastructure@ would add it.

Anyway, i Cc Cliff. Perhaps he would know the best way forward.

-David