forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thorsten.scher...@wyona.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r424855 [1/3] - in /forrest/trunk/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.projectInfo: ./ resources/stylesheets/ src/documentation/content/ src/documentation/content/svn-log/ src/documentation/content/xdocs/
Date Mon, 24 Jul 2006 09:27:44 GMT
El lun, 24-07-2006 a las 13:36 +1000, David Crossley escribió:
> > Author: thorsten
> > Date: Sun Jul 23 16:26:19 2006
> > New Revision: 424855

> > per month view of the svn changes.
>
> I hope that this is being kind to the SVN server.
> Not yet looked at the code but the following command
> run on the root of a project's svn as the default shows
> could cause undue load.
>
> -David
>
> +      <p>We implemented as well a small svn cli output to generate log files

> +        per month <a href="log.svn-sh.xml">log.svn-sh.xml</a>. The defaut
url is set to
> +        <code>http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest</code> and you can
change it
> +        by setting <code>project.svn.url</code> in your project

> +        locationmap.</p>

If you look at the code and the provided examples your concerns get
vanished.

The normal round trip (that I took for implementing this feature and the
example in the plugin and on lenya) is that you do once (!!!)
cd forrest/trunk/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.projectInfo
svn log --xml -v . > src/documentation/content/svn-log/log.svn.xml

This gives you all logs, the result of the log.svn-sh.xml is just a copy
and paste master (not executed!) if you want to split this log into
smaller logs. The result is something like:

svn log -r 411659:411659 --xml -v
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest/trunk/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.projectInfo
svn log -r 399654:410437 --xml -v http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest/trunk/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.projectInfo
svn log -r 392649:392649 --xml -v http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest/trunk/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.projectInfo
> 2006-04.svn.xml

This cli commands as well are designed to be executed only once and the
files are then placed into the src/documentation/conte nt/svn-log
directory. Then there is no further communication to the svn server
(actually there is never direct communication between the svn server and
the plugin).

You can see the result of such monthly commit overview on
http://lenya.apache.org/ under the section changes. e.g.
http://lenya.apache.org/tlp-2006-06.svn.html

The reduced svn communication is one big enhancement between this commit
and the way we did it before in Lenya.
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/lenya/docu/src/documentation/content/xdocs/community/website-update.xml?r1=424850&r2=424849&pathrev=424850
"...
- <li>run <code>svn log -v --xml http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lenya >
log.xml</code> in the root of the docu branch. This might take a while
as the log file is several MB in size.</li>
+ <li>run <code>svn log -v $LAST:HEAD --xml
+   http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lenya >
+   src/documentation/content/svn-log/tlp-HEAD.svn.xml</code> in the root
+   of the docu branch. Where $LAST is the revision number of the last commit from the last
month.</li>"

Do we want the svn changes per month as well in forrest site-author?

I volunteer to setup the basic infrastructure (it so easy since this commit).

salu2
--
Thorsten Scherler
COO Spain