forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: WM2006 - New internal format for the dispatcher
Date Sun, 02 Jul 2006 19:09:22 GMT
El vie, 30-06-2006 a las 13:45 +0100, Ross Gardler escribió:
> Tim Williams wrote:
> > So these "internal" formats act essentially like input plugins except
> > the output isn't necessarily an xdoc?  Either way, I don't see how
> > modularizing content could be a bad thing, go for it.
>
> I did not respond to Thorsten post because, to put it simply, I did not
> understand it. I read it to mean the same as Tim outlines above, but
> figured this can't be the case since Thorsten had argued against
> different internal formats in the past, since it goes against the grain
> of what Forrest is intended to do.

The thing is that we have internal code (as outlined in the other mail)
that is not xdocs but used in e.g. skins and the dispatcher.

> (interesting that this has overlapped with my proposal of using FO as an
> alternative internal format, maybe the reasoning is similar, I just
> don't see it yet.)

Actually one can extend the dispatcher for FO and one can create FO
contracts in an internal plugin. That has the benefit that one can
easily change the FO output for a page with a structurer. PDF and RTF
may need slightly different FO contracts to work optimal, they can
provide them through their implementation of the FO contract.

...and yes interesting that this has overlapped with your proposal.

> So, is Tims interpretation correct, if so, why do we now need to support
> different internal formats? If there is such a need, why only in Dispatcher?

See the other mail.
El dom, 02-07-2006 a las 20:35 +0200, Thorsten Scherler escribió:
> Picking up the *-to-menu.xsl they should go into internal-navigation
> and
> be reachable via *.internal-navigation. This way skins and the
> dispatcher can reach the same output without code-duplication. Further
> this allows the user to quickly change the navigation without
> duplicating the whole skin code.

> Is this a sign that dispatcher actually has a whole different set of
> objectives to Forrest?

Plugins are modularization, so are contracts. I do not see different
objects more different approaches. For the dispatcher a plugin can be a
package of contracts.

salu2
--
thorsten